Monday, February 18, 2008

Monday, Monday...

If you're into singer/songwriter style folk jams at all, I highly recommend seeing the film Once. I have to give thanks and credit to everyone who suggested it to me (you know who you are). It's so simple, but with so much to give. If you want to hear some samples of the featured music, look up Glen Hansard on iTunes. "Falling Slowly" & "If You Want Me" are great places to start.

So...

I wanted to touch on last Thursday's tragedy at NIU. Any time something of this nature happens, I find myself holding those close to me a little closer. Of course, the question everyone would like answered is, "Why?". I think the hardest thing to try and wrap your head around is the idea that there is nothing you can do. Both of my parents graduated from NIU, as did my older sister, and my younger brother is a junior there this year. He was at the library right next to Cole Hall when everything happened. Scary. Right before the farewell tour started, Spitalfield played at Cole Hall on that very stage the shooting took place from. Surreal is really the only word that can really describe the feeling looking back. I guess the scariest part of events like this is posing the question, "How can you stop someone who is prepared and willing to take their own life?". What kind of security measures could you really take to prevent something like this? I think the emphasis should go on what you can do when something like this starts to happen. On a much different scale, it's the same idea of putting locks on your doors and windows. What are they for? To keep out common thieves, bored teens and random robbery attempts. If somone really wants to break into your house, they'll find a way. An average security system alerts that someone has broken in, it doesn't stop them from entering. Do you see my line of thinking?

Remember to let people you care about, appreciate and admire know how much you do. You never know what this world is going to throw at you.

-Mark

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not really up to Par on what happened or where the tragedy took place but whenever i hear anything of that matter i crushes me...It puts my mind in outer space...It makes me think positive and negative...I think there is a lot of things we could do to prevent some of these tragedies..but there is also things we cannot do...like u said its hard to stop someone that will not stop..because they feel nothing they have turned cold and emotionless and the only way escape their feelings of hate and numbness is to act violently...it makes me very sad..but very thankful...thankful knowing there are things we can all do about these things...like treat each other better..and respect boundaries and show more love instead of hate & discrimination...Its a win-win world but as of now we are losing and losing...we need to start gaining instead...Knowing that your parents went to that school that must be rough...I am a family guy...to the fullest extent...I would have a hard time even thinking about that..and the show too...I pray for everybody there....and i pray you too .Mark..Like you told me..."thanks for reaching out" -Corey

. said...

Once truly is a fantastic movie. Both Glen Hansard and Marketa are very talented. The shooting is very tragic, it's sad to see that things like this continue to happen. I'm sure it definitely hits home more for someone with family there like yourself, I'm glad your loved ones are okay.

Anonymous said...

Mark-

I am glad to hear your brother is safe. That is so sad and awful that terrible things can happen so close to homw.

I really appreciate your writing style, and the music you've brought into everyone's lives over the years.

take care-
Sarah

Anonymous said...

i know exactly what you mean. but then other times, i don't see how life could be SO bad that someone would want to do things like that. i don't know if you remember (or heard) but back in december there was a shooting right here in omaha where i live at a mall. just innocent people doing their christmas shopping, and some kid decides to kill nine people and himself. tragic. sad. the worst part of it is that kid had gone to my high school. good thing he hadn't made any decision a couple years earlier. makes me wonder about stuff like that.

but anyway, not to be a downer. i'm glad you and your family are okay.

haven't gotten around to seeing that movie, but it's on my list of things to do. well, i've rambled enough. have a great rest of your monday!

- diva

Unknown said...

Powerful words, Mark. How can society prevent disturbed people (who aren't afraid to die) from killing several others? Traditional threats like "life in prison" and "the death sentence" don't quite pack the same punch when a person figures they'll be dead by the end of their ordeal anyways.

Anonymous said...

Liz - on a similar note, there have actually been people who have murdered people just so they could get the death sentence, because they wanted to die but they didn't want to do it themselves. Personally, I'll never understand how people can do things like this.

Anonymous said...

Love the new blog! hope the show went well, must have been really wierd....... :-(

i need to see Once

Anonymous said...

'Once' is quite solid. I had looked forward to it for months upon hearing news of its production, being an existing Hansard fan myself. His work with The Frames for the past decade+ has been phenomenal, and I was glad to see they used a few old Frames songs in the soundtrack for 'Once'.

Anonymous said...

i am always thrown off by how down to earth and real you are compared to most people from bands i've met.

from my experiences, you've always taken the time to talk to everyone who wants to meet you after shows-- and you have no idea how much that means to us fans.

thanks for being a true inspiration, mark. best of luck your upcoming projects.

your fan,
Greg from Delaware

Anonymous said...

hey mark, can you update us on here about your music and any new stuff working on?